This page provides a quick overview of iOS 14.5+ updates that may impact content in the Certified Marketing Developer Collection.
The Facebook Pixel
- As a best practice, all businesses should verify their domain.
- Verify your domain if you have multiple pixels that belong to multiple businesses or personal ad accounts.
- Complete domain verification before you update your event configuration.
- Go to the developer documentation for domain verification instructions.
Conversion events for campaign optimization
With the enforcement of the ATT prompt, you can only use eight conversion events for campaign optimization. Facebook prioritizes the eight conversion events by default based on your business activity.
|The Event Limitation Affects:||The Event Limitation Doesn’t Affect:|
You can still use conversion events that aren’t configured as one of the top eight events for partial reporting in Ads Manager and website Custom Audience targeting. However, you're unable to use these conversion events for optimization.
Web events available for optimization
- Go to Pixel/Conversions API to view a list of your web events.
- Events that aren’t in the top eight events receive partial reporting.
- Edit Events is disabled if you need to verify your domain.
Aggregated Events Measurement Configuration
In Events Manager you can:
- View a list of the top eight events that facebook automatically configures.
- View a list of domains that you own and events that are automatically configured for each domain.
- Update, add or rank the prioritization of your events for optimization.
Advanced Matching for the Web
Advanced matching can only be used if people with iOS 14.5+ devices opt in to tracking at the Apple prompt on the Facebook or Instagram app on that device.
Hashed customer data from advanced matching
For people on iOS 14.5+ devices, we can’t use hashed customer data from advanced matching for opted-out events (people who opted out of the Apple prompt on Facebook or Instagram). For opted-out events, we can only receive limited information consistent with Aggregated Event Measurement.
Catalog for Dynamic Ads
As a result of iOS 14.5 changes, you may see an impact to the measurement and performance of your dynamic ads. These changes prohibit certain kinds of data collection and sharing unless people opt into tracking on iOS 14.5+ devices. This also means that the size of your retargeting audiences may decrease.
One pixel per catalog and domain
If possible, use only one pixel per catalog and domain. If you use more than one, we may not be able to accurately capture and optimize for the conversion events that you care the most about on iOS 14.5+ devices.
Dynamic ads event configuration
- With the enforcement of the ATT prompt, you can only use up to eight conversion events for campaign optimization.
- Facebook prioritizes the eight conversion events by default based on your business activity. You should prioritize the events you want to optimize and report on with dynamic ads.
- It isn't necessary to include ViewContent, AddToCart and Purchase in the top eight events for dynamic ads to function. Continue to send these events through the pixel to help ensure dynamic ads can use them for people on non-iOS 14.5+ devices and for people on iOS 14.5+ devices who opted into the Apple prompt on that device for Facebook or Instagram.
- If a person opts in on a device at the Apple prompt on Facebook or Instagram, we can use additional pixel events outside the eight prioritized events without restrictions for personalization or dynamic ads.
Order of event prioritization
- If people opt out of tracking on iOS 14.5+ devices, we only receive the highest-ranked, completed event of the eight prioritized events for optimization and reporting. At this time, we're unable to predict how this will impact performance.
Tips for multiple pixels or domains
|If you have multiple pixels||If you have multiple domains|
View match rates to confirm events and catalog work correctly
If you see noticeable decreases in performance due to iOS 14.5+ requirements and you use retargeting audiences, you may consider testing broad audience targeting with your dynamic ads.
Looking for more help? Try these resources.
When to use domain verification to verify your business
About using multiple web domains for dynamic ads
About event priority
Facebook pixel updates for Apple’s iOS 14 requirements
About Aggregated Event Measurement
Configure events to use Aggregated Event Measurement
Best practices for reaching a broad audience with dynamic ads
Configure Events Impacted by iOS 14 Changes
Learn about the impact of the Apple iOS 14 policy on Facebook advertising and how event configuration can help you to adapt.